Saturday, May 2, 2009

wow

Am I really halfway across the world?
In Tanzania for six months ,
Turkey for one ,
And on a 3 month bicycle trip?
I guess I am.
We started off the cycle in turkey and had quite a rough start.
We had our hotel car pick us up from our hotel and bring us to the bus station (otogar in turkish), but the car shows up half an hour late so we miss our bus but take another one at 8:30 which turns up at 9:00.
We finally boarded the bus and got on the road.
We arrive in Hayrabolo‘s otogar and found a nice alley to build our bikes.
We unpacked griffs bike first. His is the best and the lightest and goes together fine.
We moved onto mom and dad’s bike and have the slightest of problems with the front handle bar bag. We finally moved onto the tandem where disaster is sure to strike and it DID. We found out that the chain wheel had been supporting the bike in the box. In the process of the weight on it 5 teeth were bent and the main part was all asqugy(sp). Me and dad got driven around the town looking for solutions. We got driven to a guy with a press that said he would just break the whole thing and when all hope seemed lost a miracle happened!!!!!! The guy suddenly stopped at another place where they had a press and they pressed it and all was good. Well at least till now. Well let’s get on with the cycle…

Our first ride was 53k and let me tell you my but was sore.
I felt like I was going to faint of tiredness but I didn’t!!!
our second day we rode 41k and my but wasn’t too bad but still hurting.
916 right now and hoping to hit 1000 in two or three days!!!
My feeling on this trip is that I would and I wouldn’t want to go.
I would go because I like different countries and to have the privilege to say I rode 3000 km in 3 months!! I wouldn’t want to go because of missing home.

Greece: Greece was a fantastic place. Even though I was only there for 7hr I really enjoyed the places and the fabulous hot chocolates!!!!!! I could also tell a big difference between Greece and Turkey.

Bulgaria: Bulgaria was great and wish I could stay longer, although Bulgaria was pretty poor but was still very cool. I found that all the cities in Bulgaria have a centre square. Some people in Bulgaria look at as like “what the heck are you doing??” and some are actually quite interested in our bikes and us.

Romania: as I write this i'm sitting in Romania and find Romania is more wealthy and more expensive than Bulgaria and Greece. I again wish I had more time here. I found Romanians were more interested in our bikes but in someway it wasn’t my favorite country. But still would go again. One reason it was not my favorite country is because one time we got rocks thrown at us and the other reason is there was not a lot of hotels.

No comments: